With outdoor temperatures rising, the opportunities to be outdoors enjoying the sunshine are becoming greater. If your skin got a bit neglected during the winter (or, ahem, the social distancing), it’s time to talk about some ways you can get your skin back into shape for summer!
1. Exfoliate. Exfoliating properly will remove dead, dulling skin cells and other debris in order to prevent clogged pores and increase absorption of moisturizers. The best time to exfoliate is in the morning, because makeup will last longer on freshly exfoliated skin. Just remember to apply your SPF afterward, as freshly exfoliated skin is also more prone to sun damage.
2. Hydrate. Apply intensive moisturizing masques up to two times a week to quickly increase your skin’s hydration. Use boosters or toners, layered underneath a moisturizer for a refreshing skin prep. Refresh hydration throughout the day with a revitalizing toner spritz to keep your thirsty skin satisfied.
3. Drink water. Hydrating your skin is a great idea, but hydrating your body is an absolute must! Higher temperatures and more time outdoors leads to internal dehydration, which can result in headaches, dizzy spells, and of course dry skin. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day to help maintain the critical moisture balance of your body and skin. Take note: If you drink caffeinated beverages, you must triple the amount of water you drink to avoid dehydration!
4. Limit your sun exposure. It’s not enough to just apply sunscreen; you must apply enough, and reapply frequently. Studies show that most people do not apply nearly as much daylight protection as they should. Apply before you head outdoors, and re-apply every two hours. Try to stay out of the midday sun from mid-morning to late afternoon whenever you can.
5. Get professional help. A spa facial involves deep cleansing, exfoliation, and moisturizing. They can help to correct any issues you may have with your skin already while also minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.
If you’ve neglected you lately, come see us at Von Anthony Salon. Our team of professionals can help you with all your skincare needs. Call us at 972.731.7600 to schedule your appointment or take advantage of our mobile app to schedule at your convenience. Download it for free from iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon.