Cold weather can be hard on your skin. The frigid air, wind, and low outdoor humidity will dry your skin out, while the warm and dry air indoors will further rob it of its moisture. Without proper care, dry skin can lead to redness, itchiness, chapping, and cracking, and make other skin conditions such as eczema and acne worse. By taking proper care of your skin- from both the inside and the outside - you can counteract these effects and keep your skin looking healthy and youthful. Here are some of our top tips to keep your skin looking its best this winter- and beyond.
- Eat lots of healthy fats- especially omega-3’s. One of the best ways to keep your skin supple and soft is to moisturize from the inside! Your skin needs healthy fats to stay flexible and healthy. Eating whole foods filled with these fats - such as eggs, nuts, and avocados - will be a great way to accomplish this.
- Eat your colors! Like the rest of your body, your skin also needs vitamins and minerals in vegetables to stay healthy and resilient. The natural salts in vegetables and fruits will also help you retain more water and stay hydrated. Additionally, the antioxidants in fruits and veggies will help combat free-radical damage and aging.
- Turn down the thermostat. Don’t crank the heat up too high, and turn the temperature down even lower at night. To stay comfortable, dress in layers and use more blankets on your bed while you sleep. This will help your skin retain its much-needed moisture. Other side benefits to this include being more alert during the day and sleeping better at night.
- Limit your exposure to the sun. Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean the sun can’t damage your skin. A high percentage of UVA rays still penetrate the atmosphere, which will age your skin quickly. Just as in the summer, use caution if you’re outdoors during the day. Sunscreen should be worn during extended sun exposure, and hats and full-coverage clothing will also help.
- Seek professional help. A spa facial involves deep cleansing, exfoliation, and moisturizing. They can help to correct any issues you may have with your skin already while also minimizing fine lines and wrinkles. Exfoliation is especially important to rid your skin of dead skin cells and allow a good quality moisturizer to penetrate the skin and build a protective barrier.
Don’t neglect your skin this winter. Come see us at Von Anthony Salon. Our team of professionals can help you with all your skincare needs. Call us at 972.731.7600 to schedule your appointment or take advantage of our mobile app to schedule at your convenience. Download it for free from iTunes or Google Play.